Introduction to a Student Athlete


Hi everyone, my name is Randy Scharnhorst and I am currently a senior here at the University of Oklahoma and am in my last semester for finishing my degree in Health and Exercise Science. I am originally from Overland Park, Kansas, and have been attending the University of Oklahoma for the last three and a half years. The reason I chose to come to Oklahoma is because of a few important things. First of all, my girlfriend (current fiancée) was attending school at Oklahoma Baptist so this was a great option for me to be close to her. The second reason is that when first touring the campus, I felt like this was home.
Image result for OU
sourceBlock O U. credit Wikimedia
BOOMER SOONER!

I had been on many college visits and this campus really felt comfortable and perfect for me. The third reason, and maybe the most important reason is that I wanted to continue my athletic career throughout college, and as a gymnast, there is no better place in the country than the University of Oklahoma. I have been doing competitive gymnastics for almost sixteen years now. As a kid, I had dreamed of being a gymnast here because the Men's Gymnastics program has always been the dominant team in the nation, and has even produced more than ten Olympians. When I was in high school, I did not receive much attention from college coaches and recruiters, and due to the fact that mens collegiate gymnastics currently only has 15 division 1 schools, my choices were very limited. As a senior in high school, I saw many of my friends throughout the country signing letters of intent and receiving athletic scholarships for many of these schools. I unfortunately was not good enough at the time to receive one. After graduating high school, I took a gap year in my academics to continue to train to try and receive an offer from a school. In January of 2016, (during my year off), I broke my arm at a competition and figured that I would have to give up on my dream of being a college gymnast. After a few months of rehab and deep thinking, I realized that I was not ready to be done. One of my coaches at the time mentioned that OU not only had one of the best NCAA teams in the country, but also had the best club team in the nation. So, in August of 2016, I began my journey as a student here, along with being a member of the mens club gymnastics team. As a member of this team, we would mimic the workouts and training style of the NCAA team, and this helped many members of the club team throughout the years be able to get a walk on spot onto the varsity team. My goal was set, and each day I would work as hard as I could so that I could eventually make this dream a reality. After two years with the club team, (and two national titles earned), I finally was ready to make the jump. The head coach approached me one day and told me that they had one extra spot on the roster that needed to be filled and I was the person he wanted to fill that spot. I accepted the spot and a week later, began training as a member on the best men's gymnastics team in the country. I was excited, motivated, and ready for whatever challenges would come my way. It was the week of the first meet, I had secured a line up spot (starting position) for the event that I trained, and during a morning workout, I met my first big hurdle. We were doing a cardio circuit, and when I finished the first set, I was exhausted and knew that I still had one more set to go. I tried to muster up some quick energy and strength and punched a very hard surface like a moron. I ended up breaking my right hand on the impact, and after finishing the second set of the circuit, I walked over to my trainer and had her look at it. I told her that it didn't hurt that bad and that I thought I could continue (it hurt really bad...). She didn't think it was broken at the time and told me to stop if there was any pain. I finished that practice and it was extremely swollen and bruised. I took some pain meds and went home to rest for the second practice. When I came back for the second practice, the swelling had gone down some and I figured I'd be good to go. I got through the workout, but by the end of it, my hand had almost doubled in size. I was in so much pain the entire practice, but I kept telling myself that I couldn't let the pain stop me. The next day, I went in for an x-ray, and that confirmed the break. I ended up missing the entire season, and it was all from a stupid mistake that I chose to make. They always say that the harder the lesson, the more you learn from it. From this mistake, I was able to learn a lot about myself. I have also taken the experience of riding the bench all year to use as fuel for me when I'm having a rough day of practice. I am extremely grateful for the experience because I was able to work my way back to a line up spot this season, and just finished competing at my first NCAA meet last weekend. As I go through this semester, I am beginning to look back at all the great times I have had with this sport and all the experiences it has brought me. I am so grateful for it all, and while I only have 90 days left of being a gymnast, I will always be grateful of the moments and opportunities my athletic career has brought to me.

Comments

  1. Hi Randy!

    It's very nice to meet you! I'm also a senior here at OU, but I'm majoring in mechanical engineering! I can't wait to finish my last semester and finally graduate, and I assume you're just as excited as I am! Also, it's so cool that you did competitive gymnastics as a child and now do competitions as part of the OU Men's Gymnastics Program! I wish you the best this semester and congratulations on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Randy!

    First off, congratulations on your engagement! I recently got engaged as well, and it's exciting to see others take that leap with someone they love.

    I find your story very inspiring, and I'm so glad to hear that you are finally getting the experience you were looking for. Very many people would have given up in your position, and frankly, it would be hard to blame them. However, I think the experiences and hardships that you've had will make you a stronger, more insightful person as you transition out of college. I hope this last semester is a good one for you, and I look forward to reading your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an inspiring journey about the club team and your achievement here at OU... plus a painful lesson learned, Randy! I hope you will have an amazing 90 days ahead of you too! It's always exciting to have an athlete in class because it makes the sports news in the Daily more real. Do you do any yoga as part of your training? That's a big contribution that Indian has made to the world for both physical and spiritual health, so maybe it will be something to learn about... and even use... as part of this class! I Googled "yoga for gymnastics" and it is definitely a thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Randy!

    My girlfriend, her older sister, and her older brother have done gymnastics their whole lives, and her older brother was actually on the team here at OU! It's crazy the amount of training and dedication required to make it to the D1 level. Not making it straight there out of high school must have been tough, but that grind through a gap year, then the club team, and now to a line up spot will make you appreciate it more than anybody else. I'll definitely be watching some meets this year, hope to see you kill it out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Randy! Congrats on the engagement! I recently got married and it was the greatest decision of my life! Your gymnastic story is really cool and it will be something that you tell your kids and grandkids for many years to come! I always love to watch gymnastics on the Olympics because they are some of the great athletes out there! I hope I get to read more of your post and good luck on this class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Randy!

    I think that it is really important what you do for the university as a representative for us as a part of the OU Gymanistics team. One of my roommates used to be really involved in gymnastics and I have heard how taxing of a sport it is. As a fellow upcoming graduate I wish you the best going into our last semester and best of luck with the rest of your season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Randy,

    I would like to begin by staying congratulations on your engagement. I think it is very neat that you are a gymnast. I always wandering how a gymnast can be so flexible. Like it is crazy how one can twist and turn their body so much and not break something in their body. Thank you for sharing an amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Randy!

    I felt the exact same when I visited OU for the first time. It only took one visit for me to realize it was home. I think its cool that you are a gymnast! Gymnastics is one of my favorites sports to watch, especially during the Olympics. I'm excited for you this season, and I hope you do well! I'll be routing for you and your team!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Randy,
    You're super inspiring. I went to the other school in Shawnee, St. Gregory's. I loved your story and feel you are truly inspirational. I like how you just set your goals and you achieve them. Congrats of being engaged! We both graduate in the spring and I am excited as well. I hope you the best and go get yourself another championship!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Randy!
    I know I am just preaching to the choir when I say this, but wow. What an inspiring story that you have. I honestly feel more motivated just by reading your story, so thanks for that, haha. I adore watching gymnastics, and I watch your meets everytime they are on the TV's at my work, our team is just amazing. Anyways, I can't wait to see where the rest of the semester leads!
    Good luck with the season!
    -Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Randy!
    Such a great and inspiring intro! You show that hard work can pay off even if you have a few stumbles along the way. Great job and keep it up! Sometimes its hard to be motivated but if you keep to it you can reach your goal! Congrats on your engagement and graduating soon! wish you all the best in your future goals! Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Randy! What a great intro, so inspiring! Funny story, I'm actually from Kansas City, and my dad works in Overland Park (I think I was technically born there, too). I chose OU for the comfortable, homey environment, too! That was something I noticed immediately; people here are very friendly. I am really impressed that you've kept on pursuing your passion in spite of the obstacles you've encountered. I had no idea that OU's Men's Gymnastics team was so renowned. Congrats on your engagement and good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Randy,

    Congrats on the engagement! My cousin recently graduated from OBU (and works there now) and I swear every student there is married or engaged. He is getting married in July! Your story about becoming a gymnast at OU is very inspiring. I do not know a lot about gymnastics, but I know OU has one of the best (if not the best) programs in the country. Working your way from the club team to the real team is quite the feat. Good luck in all of your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Randy,

    What an inspiring story that you told here. I can only imagine how difficult that was, but sometimes we have to make mistakes and screw up to see things from a better perspective and work even harder. This is a lesson that you will take with you the rest of your life and the important thing is that you learned from it. My best friend did gymnastics her whole life and she loved it. It was very difficult for her to walk away from it. Good luck with your senior year and congratulations on your engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Randy! Congrats on this being your last semester! I’m also graduating this Spring with a major in criminology. Congratulations on your engagement as well! Everyone has said this already, but your journey to being on the gymnastics team is so inspiring. Thank you for sharing that with us! I hope that the rest of your semester is fantastic! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5 Story: The Burger, The Fry, and the Milkshake